Hillgate Village, W8
Hillgate Village, originally known as the ‘Racks’, was part of the Campden House Estate and came into the possession of the Phillimore family during the eighteenth century when the little houses were homes of bootmakers, blacksmiths and coachmen. Now this well-loved conservation area known for its pastel-coloured cottages which attract attention from visitors from all around the world, has one of the most photogenic group of streets in central London. Nestled behind Notting Hill Gate with Kensington High Street, Portobello Road and Westbourne Grove all within a ten minute walk its properties are always in the highest demand. One of the greatest pulls is the legendary Fox Primary School and we’ve known people to buy or rent here just for that very reason alone as a home in Hillgate Village puts you in a priority location within the catchment.
Home to the Notting Hill Farmers’ Market as well as some of our absolute favourite go-to pubs, restaurants and so much more it really is one of the most desirable villages in Kensington and Chelsea.
Arguably three of the best London pubs all in this village we love. All indisputable favourites of ours; the Thai kitchen at The Churchill is now almost as legendary as its flower baskets, the hidden garden at the Windsor Castle is perfect for long summer evenings and the outstanding beer and grub at the Hillgate is not to be missed.
The most eclectic mix of eateries serving outstanding grub we love from breakfast at Egg Break to quick lunches at Suzi Tros and long delicious dinners at Akub. The choices are endless.
Our Favourite Shop
This Ofsted ‘outstanding’ school is named after Caroline Fox, the sister of the third Lord Holland, who had established a charity school in 1842. In 1876 the school was transferred to the School Board for London, which built new premises in Kensington Church Street (at the time known as Silver Street). In 1920 the London County Council decided to widen Kensington Church Street where the school buildings stood and for this reason purchased the present site from the Metropolitan Water Board where eventually the school was rebuilt in 1935.